blank My CNCSeries
Username:
Password:
blank
(Register)
Content Overview Files Database Tiberium Wars Section Red Alert 3 Section Zero Hour Section Generals Section Yuris Revenge Section Red Alert 2 Section Renegade Section About CNCSeries
» FAQ · History
» Staff · Contact Us

Header
blank
» Forum » Comments » Article: Girls and Command & Conquer

Girls and Command & ConquerGirls and Command & Conquer (04.02.2006)
Rob discusses the often overlooked female section of our community. He talks about perceptions, numbers, stereotypes and future trends. An interesting and thought provoking read..
Previous Thread In Forum Previous Thread ¦ Next Thread Next thread in forum
Page 1 of 41234--»
ChrisIconArticle: Girls and Command & Conquer23:07 04.02.06 

CNCS Site Champion

Reps: 601

#53, 312 Posts

blank
Well, no shit about that BBC graph, but it doesn't say anything about how much time males and females spend on games. Also, in competetive online play you won't meet many girls, fact. This is certainly the case for strategy & war games. This Lena girl is quite an exception but still, there's incredibly few female gamers online. That's the place 'we', the major male audience, hang out. So yeah, if we don't see them we will keep thinking 'THERE ARE NO GIRLS ON TEH INTARWEBZ!!1' As long as 'we' don't see a substantial increase of females playing online, be it competetively or just for fun, those views won't change.

KeegIcon...03:23 05.02.06 

Reps: 11

#683, 1 Posts

blank
I personal have female gamer friends and respect them. They aren't as good, but that isn't because they are girls.

cheetachaserIcon...09:24 05.02.06 

Reps: 14

#684, 4 Posts

09:26 05.02.06 - Edited

Originally posted by Chris...
This Lena girl is quite an exception but still, there's incredibly few female gamers online. That's the place 'we', the major male audience, hang out. So yeah, if we don't see them we will keep thinking 'THERE ARE NO GIRLS ON TEH INTARWEBZ!!1' As long as 'we' don't see a substantial increase of females playing online, be it competetively or just for fun, those views won't change.

The fact is, most of us dont come out of hiding, but pretend to be males, as it lessens the problems interacting with the male sex (or as my freinds call you, "the male species"). Those of us that do, tend to be carefull of/with whome we share our secret. Not just in this game, but in most, I myself do not hide it, and every time i get on my computer am harrassed by at least one of 'You'. I have been called... things im not sure i can put on here. and been told im not female, harrassed constantly about proving it, or just by someone with a mental problem that keeps bugging me. The point being it is safer for both the mind, and heart, to stay hidden. Contrary to what was said before, i dont find it to be true that its usualy only the... "less experienced/younger males" that act in an innapropriate fasion. (excuse my bad english) Not do i find it to be true, that we are treated with respect, unless there is the risk of being penalized for "bad behavior". Over all, there are probably far more of us than you think. I play a large host of games, from SC, SC XP, D2, D2X, C&C(series) AoE (series), and Half-life, Counter Strike, TFC, etc. etc. (point made) in games which have F Lists, my list usualy fills with about 90% females, with out of 20 (on average) 2 being male. Point being, "We are here, But you cant see us."

ripailaIcon...09:32 05.02.06 

Reps: 103

#499, 78 Posts

blank
well..i haven't seen one girl to play C&C(strategy) games in my life...but i
ve seen girls wich play fpsTongue

RobIcon...09:33 05.02.06 

Founder

Reps: 1598

#1, 928 Posts

blank
Interesting point - thanks for sharing that with us.

cheetachaserIcon...09:44 05.02.06 

#684, 4 Posts

09:46 05.02.06 - Edited

fps? not sure what that is, and no problem. thing is, women can usualy recognise each other, by what we "say" (type), and our personalities, it is not one hundred percent, but nothing ever is. i would say... given 30 minutes to chat with another female, we can usualy recognize each other, not always, some of us are just good at hiding it. Its kinda funny. Males usualy only pick up on females when they assume we are male, and dont say anything about it. Those are probably the older ones though. Men with a bit more experience. This seems over all the standard encounter tactic for males, "If it sais its female it isnt, if it doesnt say its female it isnt, if it defeats you, it isnt, but if it has pictures and can prove it, (preferably innapropriate ones) it is."

((YES, ok, im sexist... (against males.)

RobIcon...11:31 05.02.06 

Founder

#1, 928 Posts

blank
Do you have a picture?

chickendippersIcon...11:35 05.02.06 

Reps: 22

#25, 8 Posts

blank
What about Crimson? She runs n00bstories, the n00bstories Renegade servers, the official Renegade forums and RenGuard Wink

RobIcon...11:51 05.02.06 

Founder

#1, 928 Posts

blank
Ah, that's good. Sadly my knowledge of the Renegade community is extremely limited at best.

What's the name of that silly guy with goggles again? Tongue

ripailaIcon...12:00 05.02.06 

#499, 78 Posts

blank
fps= first person shooter...i've seen girls thst play counterstrike and quake3Grin Tongue

cheetachaserIcon...21:57 05.02.06 

#684, 4 Posts

21:58 05.02.06 - Edited

Originally posted by Rob...
Do you have a picture?

thank you for giving my previous statement "ask for pictures" an example, yes i have pictures, no you cant see them. EmbarassedRoll-Eyes

JimIcon...22:06 05.02.06 

KT, OBE, MBE etc,

Reps: 235

#10, 186 Posts

blank

it's not like you see women going into the frontline in Iraq or Afghanistan after all.

Not true. Women serve with several of the combat support and combat service support sections of the Army. That means they may be, say, commander of a battery of an AS-90 or a signaller for an HQ element. The invasion of Iraq in 2003 showed the fluidity of the 'frontline' in modern warfare: Nowhere is immune to enemy action.

Quite correct that women don't serve in the "Teeth" arms, but incorrect to suggest they are not on the frontlines at all.

RobIcon...23:13 05.02.06 

Founder

#1, 928 Posts

blank
Cheeta - my post was a joke, I don't actually want you to post a picture!

Jim - Perhaps I should have phrased it differently. But it's not like it's the women who are doing the fighting - which is what I was getting at. War is typically associated with male soldiers.

thecommanderIcon...16:30 06.02.06 

NS creator

Reps: 193

#66, 164 Posts

blank

Originally posted by Rob...
Cheeta - my post was a joke, I don't actually want you to post a picture!

Jim - Perhaps I should have phrased it differently. But it's not like it's the women who are doing the fighting - which is what I was getting at. War is typically associated with male soldiers.

maybe Grin but sometimes there r also wemen soldiers Wink

ripailaIcon...17:23 06.02.06 

#499, 78 Posts

blank
wemen dont fight in the frontline they support the troops that do...

Post A Reply
Page 1 of 41234--»
Navigation:

CNCSeries.Com