blank My CNCSeries
Username:
Password:
blank
(Register)
Content Overview Files Database Tiberium Wars Section Red Alert 3 Section Zero Hour Section Generals Section Yuris Revenge Section Red Alert 2 Section Renegade Section About CNCSeries
» FAQ · History
» Staff · Contact Us

Header
blank
» Forum » Comments » Article: XWIS: One Month On

XWIS: One Month OnXWIS: One Month On (31.10.2005)
Rob discusses the transfer of RA2, YR and other EA games to the XWIS Community server. Included is an interview with the ladder winner, Tomi. He makes various suggestions for improvements and reviews its success thus far.
Previous Thread In Forum Previous Thread ¦ Next Thread Next thread in forum
ChrisIconArticle: XWIS: One Month On13:36 31.10.05 

CNCS Site Champion

Reps: 601

#53, 312 Posts

blank
Good article, tells us exactly what's been going on this past month. For newschoolers (like me), it's as if we can experience what the old WOL days were like, which is truly amazing. The redirection is the only reason I got back after a decision back in January of this year to never play again.

But eh, Rob, where's my credit? Tongue

DarioDIcon...19:35 31.10.05 

Reps: 16

#173, 6 Posts

blank
Excellent article! I love the idea of XWIS having a community manager to inform community webmasters of XWIS status. I feel there's a gap between XWIS and the community web sites.

PaulIcon...22:43 31.10.05 

( . Y . )

Reps: 465

#2, 317 Posts

blank
Rob's obviously been reading my articles, as this one has a bit of class about it Tongue

I might have a bash at a few games once I've got these essays out of the way...

1,500 - almost finished
3,000 - 600 words done
1,500 - not started

Eeek.

JimIcon...19:34 02.11.05 

KT, OBE, MBE etc,

Reps: 235

#10, 186 Posts

blank
6,000 words by Friday - Done 5,500

I am "teh Daddy"

RobIcon...21:43 02.11.05 

Founder

Reps: 1598

#1, 928 Posts

blank
I'm glad that my fellow staff members can share such insightful thoughts with us all.

laney_isIcon...13:16 03.11.05 

Reps: 28

#512, 16 Posts

blank
Nice article and a good read. I do, however have a problem with the following statement:

XWIS administrators need to be proactive; and not reactive.

I doubt if you or most folks (myself included) were privy to the discussions between EA and XWIS prior to the redirect. Laying blame on the XWIS administrators, especially in terms of prolonged server outages, is premature and unwarranted.

RobIcon...13:36 03.11.05 

Founder

#1, 928 Posts

blank
I'm glad to see you voice your opinion, but I must disagree. Like I mentioned in the article; the EA and Westwood servers were hacked several times - thus the XWIS administrators should have been wary of such an event happening.

However, they clearly were not - their response was slow (even if this was down to the host). Ultimately, the responsibility is in their hands.

Having all of their resources (including the ST forum) on one server was quite a basic mistake - regardless of the possibility of hacking attacks.

Being proactive has nothing to do with the terms of the contract between EA and XWIS - it simply means taking various factors into account and planning for their occurence. XWIS, to an extent, should be run like a business - planning is crucial. With it, it is likely that the downtime would not have been so long, and the community would have had a far clearer idea of what was actually going on.

r1zlaIcon...01:45 04.11.05 

Reps: 19

#513, 8 Posts

05:26 04.11.05 - Edited

• I'm glad to see you voice your opinion, but I must disagree. Like I mentioned in the article; the EA and Westwood servers were hacked several times - thus the XWIS administrators should have been wary of such an event happening.

Since XWIS and ST have been getting attacked in one way or another since the beginning we have always been very wary, we have changed hosts multiple times and taken every measure we can take to stop attacks or withstand them. We are constantly monitoring the security of our servers.
  • However, they clearly were not - their response was slow (even if this was down to the host). Ultimately, the responsibility is in their hands.

Can i ask what you base this statement on? Don was instantly aware of the server going down and after attempts to connect to it failed she immediately tried to contact the host. EA provides the host for strike-team. We predicted this months ago and have been asking EA for a better host with an instant support network. The responsibility for the host lies with EA and we are doing everything in our power to persuade them, Apoc from EA has responded on Planet CnC that he is aware of the issues and is currently working with Olaf to rectify.

• Having all of their resources (including the ST forum) on one server was quite a basic mistake - regardless of the possibility of hacking attacks.

Again this relies on the resources made available to us from EA. When EA took over responsibility for our hosting, they also took over the responsibility to provide us hardware, up until that point we were using our own and donated equipment.
  • Being proactive has nothing to do with the terms of the contract between EA and XWIS - it simply means taking various factors into account and planning for their occurence. XWIS, to an extent, should be run like a business - planning is crucial. With it, it is likely that the downtime would not have been so long, and the community would have had a far clearer idea of what was actually going on.

While we have plans of action for different events, when dealing with EA we have to use a degree of patience. We can't just jump in and demand, we have to present the problems in a professional manner with possible solutions. It takes EA to agree and to make efforts to accommodate us. Apoc has assured the community he will do all in his power to provide us with the best possible solution and minimize any further outages.

AS an end note. The XWIS Administrators are doing their level best to provide you with everything that we are capable of but we are sorely limited because of the response times of our EA provided host. All of the outages so far have been a result of malicious activity and hardware failures, this is as frustrating for the XWIS team as it is for you guys, we feel the same pain Unhappy (maybe even more so as we deal with the disappointed gamers). Please be patient with us while we work with EA to get these technical issues ironed out and in the meantime work with us to help spread the word should we all be subjected to more downtimes. We are all in this together.

//edit: Rob, you can get my MSN from Laney and i can give you updates for the fans sooner, since the redirect we have been trying hard to keep the community sites uptodate with the current server status. Thank you for your help so far in doing so Happy

RobIcon...13:55 04.11.05 

Founder

#1, 928 Posts

blank
Thanks for your comments mate - they help shed a lot more light on the situation.

Don't worry, we're certainly behind you - we support XWIS 100%.

AlisaIcon...05:34 04.11.14 

Reps: 17

#5001, 6 Posts

blank
Radio City Music Hall fifavip Skywalker Ranch and fifa 15 coins ps3 nine of cheap fifa 15 coins and the 12 FIFA soccer stadiums in Brazil use Harman professional systems.cheap fifa coins Santana said. "There is just no better time.

utkarshetradeIcononline rakhi india08:14 07.04.16 

Reps: 17

#6372, 4 Posts

blank
http://www.sendeliterakhitoindia.com/
http://www.maulirakhi.com

Bracelet Rakhi for Brother
Rakhi Threads
Pure Chandan Rakhi

Rakhi and Rakhi Gifts 2016: We offer many options for brothers and sisters who want to celebrate their sibling relationship in unique ways. Buy or send rakhis, rakhi gifts or rakhi hampers with us at very affordable prices.

gyy123Iconblade and soul item translation & bns na10:26 09.07.16 

Reps: 54

#6513, 23 Posts

blank
But if the appetite for amateur cards, debit cards in 2000 Bowman Summary forget. Minutes left Sizemore amateur card.9. Permission Teixeira Teixeira mark visit to see what happens to a person, Blade & Soul Gold it is about as abundant as Sizemore. Sign truly domesticated, Tex, in which he said, suck blow canicule as a 'Yankee' 'refusal to join the usual choice in this guy.At $ 0.2005 27th eBay paper Assistant signed numbered 100 card is to buy the kingdom, and contributed to an abundance of sales 0.8 . Ryan Howard Another key point barrier. Howard was the best year in 2006 when he won a silver collectors, Hank Aaron Award, and the NL MVP. Career.278 hitter with 253 home runs in his 5-year full assistant career.He they hit that Philly abroad, including Michael Vick too hard feminist rights conference.But If Howard keeps the strike (and courage, it is clean certainly after 2000, when baseball legend.There Patty Howard tickets there, including 11 numbered cards with 4-5 pieces of their bat Jersey autograph.7. Ricky Henderson Baseball brand impression road transport is increasing. basis just born miserable appearing. None doubtable juicing.Gems or fraud, such as Ogden Commercial Alliance card was surprised in 1979 of $ 100 if they are to be provided. You can also Blade And Soul adventure BAT table is used or a T-shirt for $ 10 You get to get, but it looks like affectation in your case, if you're an amateur. Cheap Blade & Soul Gold Investors have antique accessory cards, including the 2010 Sterling Quad Card Jersey, which also 25.Rickey as the first Hall of Famer stemronde which in 2009 was approved and the New York Yankees tickets, the number of rich surprised him the sun, too.6.

Post A Reply

Navigation:

CNCSeries.Com